Birth Stories:

Julian Ross





Candice gave me a call at 9pm on Tuesday 24th November. She was in a state as she had had a “bright red show” that is not what one wants to see at nearly 38 weeks pregnant.

I advised her to go straight to Parklands and have a check-up.  The staff said she was 2 cm dilated and could go home if she would like too.  Candice had wanted to be at home for as long as she could possibly be. I left Hilton and drove down the N3 with lots of trucks and had to keep a beady eye open for all the speeding trucks doing silly things.  I got to Candice and Paul at 10pm and we packed her suitcase and the baby’s too. We chatted and she made dinner etc. No more real strong labour pains felt. We all went to bed at 1am and decided to rest for as long as we could. Candice woke up in the morning feeling much the same. Still no strong labour so we decided to go to Parklands to have the baby checked again. Her gynaecologist arrived at 8am and he did an internal and he told her that she was 3 cm dilated and he then felt that he should break her waters to check if the water was clear.  All went well and she felt no discomfort while her waters were broken.  Her morning was spent walking and walking.  Upstairs and downstairs. The ball played an important part in her labour. She went on all fours. The ball was in front of her on the bed.  She danced with her  husband Paul. That made a beautiful picture! He did counter pressure and I did counter pressure. We used the face cloth with lemon grass on it. We also used the hot water bottle on her lower back. This was a very good comfort measure for her.  Paul was an awesome partner who played a crucial role as her support. He verbally told her how well she was doing. He listened to her needs. I was so impressed with their strength. Candice was a wonderful mum to work with. She knew what she wanted and kept to the rules. She had such a strong quiet strength. Well done Candice you were amazing!

At 14h00 after another internal exam Candice was 5cm. This was disappointing for her as she had walked and walked and done all that was necessary to keep the length of labour shorter.

She went to the loo ½ hourly. I gave her some confidence and told her that the next 5 cm were going to go faster. She was offered a drip to induce but declined. No medication was given to her.

At 16h00 she was almost 10 cm and ready to feel like pushing. I called the midwife and she said the same.  She called the gynaecologist and we got the labour room ready for the baby. The baby’s bed had been warmed up since early on in the morning and the music was on and the atmosphere was calm.

Once the gynaecologist arrived and we all chatted. Candice pushed extremely well listening to us. Julian was born easily and no episiotomy was needed but her gynaecologist did a good sweeping.

Baby was born at 16h45 he was alert and was given straight up onto Candice’s tummy. He remained with her for over an hour. He stayed on her chest skin to skin. He breast fed a little and slept against her. The atmosphere was calm and quiet. What a lovely way to be born. It was a wonderful moment to be present!  We did not bath him.

I so enjoyed the birth for Candice and Paul.  It was a pleasure to work with both of them.

I drove back home to Hilton with a huge smile and a deep sense of love.

Sending my blessings to you both Candice and Paul and little Julian too.

Paul, Candice and Julian

Our birth story

25th November 2009

Our search for a doula began when friends of ours who had just had their baby told us about their birth experience and how much help the doula was for them. We decided that we were going to hire a doula to help us at the birth of our first child. Well the hunt began! We contacted the same doula our friends used and she was going to be away around our birth date. So then we contacted her stand in doula and all was going well until I got a phone call to say that she could no longer help us due to unforeseen circumstances. We then contacted another doula who we were not happy with. Then we heard of Ginny. We phoned and arranged to meet with Ginny straight away as we were already in our 37th week of pregnancy. Once we had met Ginny we knew that we were in good calm and loving hands. Ginny kept constant contact with us to see how we were and how the pregnancy was progressing. All was well until Tuesday the 24th of November. Paul was in Dundee for the day and I was still working and life was carrying on as normal. After work I went shopping to get Paul’s birthday card and another small gift. I got home at 5pm and proceeded to complete all my paperwork as I was due to go on maternity leave on Friday the 27th of November. It was 9pm and Paul had not arrived home from Dundee, I went to the toilet and saw bright red blood! I got a fright and immediately phoned Ginny who told me to go to the hospital for a check and that she was on her way, from Hilton to Durban. I phoned my father and step mother to take me to the hospital. On my way to the hospital I phoned Paul to tell him what was going on. When I arrived at the hospital they put me on a machine to check for contractions which they said I was having but I was not feeling much. They also told me that I was 2cm dilated. I was in labour which came as a huge shock because we were not due for another 18 days. We chose to go back home to wait out the first stages of labour which I still thought was a false alarm. Ginny met us at home and helped us do the last of our packing for the hospital. We all went to bed very unsure of what was going on as I was still not feeling much but slight back ache and a mild period pain every so often. In the morning we woke up and had tea. I was feeling so good I wanted to go to work. Ginny and Paul decided that is was best to go back to the hospital for another check. They put me back on the machine and the contractions had stopped but I was 3cm dilated.  Our gynaecologist broke my waters at 8am to get the labour going. He told us that Julian should be born between 3pm and 4pm. The contractions got stronger quickly after my waters had been broken, Ginny and Paul had to get to work helping me through the pain. Ginny helped us so much by suggesting pain relief techniques during contractions, such as bouncing on the ball. She also made sure I was drinking, eating and going to the toilet regularly.  She sat and watched us walk up and down the stairs giving constant words of encouragement, held my hands when Paul could not, massaged my feet and back, wiped my face with a cold cloth, fed me ice, provided a hot water bottle for the pain and answered any questions we asked. She even had games in her bag to keep me busy in the early stages. Towards the end stages the contractions got so intense and on a few occasions I let them almost get the better of me but thanks to Ginny and Paul who reminded me to breath and be strong I got through them. At the very end when it was time to push and the gynaecologist arrived Ginny took out her camera and captured the entire miracle of Julian being born while continuing to give words of encouragement. The most amazing thing for me that Ginny said while I was pushing was that she could see Julian’s head and that he had a lot of dark hair. This was so significant for me because I had said that I was dying to see if Julian had lots of dark hair like Paul and Ginny had remembered and told me as soon as she saw his head and this made me push harder. Once baby was out Ginny made sure that he latched properly and she dressed him to keep him warm. She made sure we were ok and then she left us to bond with our new baby. Ginny continued to check up on us to see if we were ok and she also came to visit when Julian was a few days old and gave us a cd with the photos of Julian’s birth on. It was amazing for me to see the birth the way everyone else had. It’s all over now and when we look back Paul and I both say that we could never have done it without Ginny. We would recommend having a doula to anyone because our experience was so positive.



Add comment

Security code

What I Do

I am living my dream while working with mums and babies. I see mums when they are 34 weeks pregnant and then go to their homes once they go into labour. I stay for the full duration of the labour and after the birth I assist them with breast feeding. I do another visit after the birth to see that all is well and to help where I can.  Mums are always welcome to call me in the event that they have any questions, whether before or after the birth. I am passionate about my work as a doula and I care and love all the families with which I work. Once you have been present at a birth you feel part of the family and it’s wonderful to hear news of the new baby’s life as he or she grows.

Ovulation Predictor

Please select the first day of your last menstrual period:

/ /

Usual number of days in your cycle:

What is your due date?

Date of your last menstrual period:

Baby Development

Baby Development Calendar